Art & Design
At Millbrook Primary School, our aim is to inspire, motivate, challenge and develop each child’s knowledge, skills and understanding in art, craft and design. As pupils invent and create their own artworks they gradually learn to think critically and develop more of an understanding of their own work. They are taught that art and design reflects and shapes our history and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We encourage our artistic learners to:
- Be confident in using a range of materials and media.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Be critical thinkers and analyse artwork.
- Be able to talk confidently, respectfully and reflectively about their own art, the art work of their peers and art work by great artists, craft makers and designers.
- Celebrate their own art work and the art work of others with respect.
How we ensure access for all:
At Millbrook, we use 'PlanBee' throughout the year groups to offer guidance to all teachers and to support our pupil's learning. We recognise that in all classes, pupils have a wide range of abilities and so we seek to provide suitable learning opportunities for all, by matching the challenge of the task to the ability of each individual. We also use a range of materials and resources to also meet individual needs.
A variety of teaching styles are used to encourage maximum participation, where skills, knowledge and understanding of the arts can grow freely. Demonstrations and techniques are given alongside a wealth of resources. Examples of pupil’s work are shown to allow critical thinking and to develop the skills needed to self-evaluate their own and others’ work, suggesting what has been successful and how to improve.
How we assess:
Pupils demonstrate their ability in art and design in a variety of ways. The pupils are assessed during lessons, through pupil discussions, sketchbooks, artwork, reflections and displays.
How you can support your child:
- Encourage your child to take part in art activities at home such as creating art from recycled objects.
- Discuss local and global artists and how they have influenced others.
- Support your child with Home Learning Projects to further enhance their artistic skills.
If you would like to know more information please contact:
Art and Design Lead