At Millbrook Primary School, our aim is to inspire, motivate, challenge and develop each child’s knowledge, skills and understanding in music. As pupils rehearse, invent and create their own pieces they gradually learn to think critically and develop more of an understanding of their own work. They are taught that music moulds and stems from our history and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We encourage our musical learners to:
- Be confident in using a range of instruments and media.
- Become proficient in reading music.
- Be critical thinkers and analyse pieces of music.
- Be able to talk confidently, respectfully and reflectively about music, the work of their peers and also that great artists, musicians and producers.
- Celebrate their own performances and the performances of others with respect.
How we ensure access for all:
At Millbrook, we use Charanga throughout the year groups to offer guidance to all teachers and to support our pupil's learning. We recognise that in all classes, pupils have a wide range of abilities and so we seek to provide suitable learning opportunities for all, by matching the challenge of the task to the ability of the individual. We also use a range of materials and resources to also meet individual needs.
A variety of teaching styles are used to encourage maximum participation, where skills, knowledge and understanding of the arts can grow freely. Demonstrations and techniques are given alongside a wealth of resources. Examples of pupil’s work are shown to allow critical thinking and pupils develop the skills needed to self-evaluate their own and others’ work, suggesting what has been successful and how to improve.
How we assess:
Pupils demonstrate their ability in music in a variety of ways. The pupils are assessed during lessons, through pupil discussions, reflections and performances.
How you can support your child:
- Encourage your child to take part in art activities at home such as crafting instruments from recycled objects.
- Discuss local and global artists and how they have influenced others.
- Support your child with Home Learning Projects to further enhance their musical skills.
If you would like to know more information please contact:
Music and PE Lead