Design Technology at Millbrook
At Millbrook Primary School, our aim is to inspire, motivate, challenge and develop each child’s understanding of Design and Technology, whilst using their creativity and imagination within their own creations and designs. They will be encouraged to take risks, become resourceful, innovative and capable. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
We encourage our D&T learners to:
- Be confident in using a range of equipment and tools on a wide range of materials.
- To be able generate their own ideas to design purposeful, functional and appealing products based a design criteria.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to create high-quality prototypes.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
How we ensure access for all:
Design Technology is taught every half term in KS1 and KS2. In Reception, the children are given many opportunities to develop a range of practical Design and Technology skills through our half termly topics that are embedded in the Understanding the World section of the EYFS curriculum.
At Millbrook, we use 'PlanBee' throughout the year groups to offer guidance to all teachers and to support our pupil's learning. We recognise that in all classes, pupils have a wide range of abilities and so we seek to provide suitable learning opportunities for all, by matching the challenge of the task to the ability of the individual. We also use a range of materials and resources to also meet individual needs.
A variety of teaching styles are used to encourage maximum participation. Demonstrations and techniques are given alongside a wealth of resources. Examples of pupil’s work are shown to allow critical thinking and pupils develop the skills needed to self-evaluate their own and others’ work, suggesting what has been successful and how to improve to match the design criteria and purpose.
How we assess:
Pupils demonstrate their ability in Design and Technology in a variety of ways. The pupils are assessed during lessons, through pupil discussions, sketchbooks and products that they have produced. Here are Millbrook we also use live marking to mark against the learning objective and progression of skills. They are given opportunities to understand the purpose of the product and research, design and make and evaluate. They have time to reflect on their creations.
How you can support your child:
- Encourage your child to observe different equipment and materials that are used at home.
- Discuss the eat well plate, and the importance of 5 a day.
- Cook and bake at home using recipes!
- Support your child with Home Learning Projects to further enhance their skills.