Understanding the World
Ideas and Suggestions:
- Melting and Freezing – make some ice cubes and salt half of them. Which melt first?
- If it snows, bring some indoors and guess what will happen to it?
- Freeze water in balloons or rubber gloves
- Freeze small objects in a bowl of water – lego/small world animal etc
- Do an experiment to see whether everything freezes – try plasticine, ketchup, jam
- Use ice and small world arctic animals to make an arctic scene in the water tray
- Make ice lollies
- Use a globe to talk about the North and South Poles
- Look at books about the Inuit people
- Why are polar bears white?
- Make seed cakes for the birds
- Go on a frosty walk